At the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum
ENQUIRIES NOW OPEN
We have a small team of experienced volunteer researchers who are able to carry out archival research enquiries.
Our researchers combine information held within our own archive, and various other sources, to produce the most thorough picture of an individual.
Some of our researchers have published a number of books on military history (specifically WWI). Having this expertise means that they can analyse and interpret any data they find in the most effective way.
How can we help?
We hold many unique records within our archive, such as:
- Officer’s records (which can be combined with Officer’s data held in our archive)
- Enlistment records
- Photographs (Predominantly WWI)
- Regimental journals (such as ‘The Sphinx and the Dragon’, and ‘The Back Badge’)
- Officer embarkation rolls
- WWI database (containing over 40,000 records of individual soldiers)
Our researchers will take time to find as much information as they can for you, using and interpreting the unique resources we hold in our archive, and information held elsewhere. As we are a registered charity we are dependant upon donations to keep our Museum open, and so we ask for a payment of £25 per soldier, per enquiry. In some circumstances, we may only be able to provide only background information, but the donation is non-refundable as every enquiry takes time and resource to carry out.
How to submit an enquiry
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your request
- Carry out the actions in the email sent out by our team, requesting the archival research fee of £25 and a completed information form
- Someone from our team will be in touch with you to confirm payment and your completed form have been received. They will give you a deadline date for your enquiry and pass your enquiry over to a researcher to begin work
- Our researchers will then carry out your enquiry and be in touch with you in due course. Please allow up to 12 weeks for your enquiry to be processed.
WWI Drop-in sessions
We now offer ‘drop-in Tuesdays’, which allows members of the public to book an hour-long appointment with a researcher to discuss any research relating to the WWI. Please note that appointments must be made in advance if you would like to meet with one of our volunteer researchers in person.
To make an appointment please email email@example.com. The time slots available are 10am-11am, 1pm-2pm, and 3pm-4pm.